Overcoming a Crushed Spirit
By Dan Miller
Recently, I saw a 61-year-old gentleman who lost his job back in May of last year. Whenever a long period of time has passed without a job, I always suspect more life issues to be lurking in the sidelines. (Yes, even in this economy.) This was confirmed once again.
He told me his wife left him four months ago, his daughter (“the joy of my life”) got married and moved away five months ago, his investments are now worth less than half what they were three years ago, he had worked for the same company for 36 years and then they let him go with a small severance package, he’s unconnected at his church and feels “rejected on all sides,” he made the last monthly payment three weeks ago on his dream house that now must be sold to settle the divorce, and he’ll likely move into an apartment in town.
Where do we go from here? Proverbs 18:14 tells us, “A man’s spirit sustains him in sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?” Or in the Living Bible it says, “What hope is left?”
Each area of our lives requires that we are making deposits of success. Even tiny withdrawals with no replacement deposits will lead to bankruptcy in relationships, physically, spiritually, and socially as well as in jobs and finances. I know that in crisis the area of most pain gets most of our attention. But often it is by making extra deposits in other areas that a person can springboard back to success in even the most critical ones.
- Set aside time for vigorous physical exercise. Walk three miles each day – it will help wash away anger and stimulate positive creativity. Smile while you walk – and notice all birds, trees, and children.
- Seek out a godly mentor. Much of the success of AA has been in having another person to call in the lowest times. Don’t isolate yourself. Maintain strong family and friend relationships.
- Reduce TV watching and instead read or listen to inspirational material at least two hours daily.
- Volunteer for a worthy cause. Helping someone else in need is a great way to ease the inward pain.
- Forgive everyone in your life. Make peace with your past. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
- Get a job – even if it’s not your dream job or a great career move. Deliver pizzas or work in the garden department at Home Depot to get moving in a positive direction while you continue to build for long-term success. Yesterday’s Nashville Tennessean lists 1814 jobs – and we know that listed jobs represent only about 12% of what’s available at any given time; thus there are more than 15,000 positions waiting to be filled in this average sized city.
- At the end of each day, complete these two sentences:
"Today I am thankful for......"
"Today my most significant accomplishment was......."
I recognize that some losses are irretrievable and an overload of pain is debilitating. If you recognize multiple withdrawals in your life, take drastic measures to stop the hemorrhaging – start making deposits in the areas you can control – today!
For information on Dan’s Eagles Club coaching process:
Stop Planning – Take Action!
As many of you know, there is a lot of activity going on over at 48Days.net. That’s where readers like you can ask questions, share ideas, and be encouraged by what others are doing to find, or create, the work that they love.
Here are this week's highlights:
Featured Blog Post
Justin Lukisavage comments on the Fiddler on the Roof quote - It's no Great Shame to be Poor, but it's no Great Honor Either
Amber Laffey got some great advice about ways to generate income as a Stay-at-home Mom
Ted Yoder wants to bring peace and joy to the world through his hammered dulcimer music.
Speak it Forward – Kent Julian is leading the way as members are learning more ways to position themselves as professional speakers.
The process is simple to join – there is no charge or requirement to stay. You can just sign up, tell others a little about yourself, and immediately get all the benefits of the entire group.
See what everyone's talking about
48 Days Online Radio
Each week I create a new online radio podcast — that you can hear in iTunes or at the 48 Days Online Radio Show link below.
This week I got back to the many questions submitted over the holidays.
- Would being a nutrition coach or selling air purifiers work in this economy?
- Is it foolish to try and pursue freelance architectural work given the current situation of the housing market?
- Where can I buy new video games at a bulk rate to then resell them on ebay individually?
- I am a 58-year-old pastor who needs an additional income, but I don’t know where to begin when it comes to an online business. Can you help?
- There's a lot of discussion around Mastermind groups and their effectiveness to build one's career. Does the group have to consist of everyone from the same occupation or like business owners? How often should a mastermind group meet? What is the ideal size, or maybe what size prohibits productivity?
- Every job I get makes me feel like the life is being sucked out of me. I try to talk myself into liking my job. I feel like I am being stifled. How do I know whether or not I’m just being "picky"?
If you have a question, just e-mail me at askdan@48Days.com and you can ask about starting your own business, getting a better job, or finding your purpose in life.
And you can click the link below to listen to this week’s broadcast immediately – no downloading, no wait.
48 Days Highlights
Free download of No More Mondays – A lot of you have been asking when the audio of No More Mondays will be available. Well, now we have a special offering from Audible.com. If you sign up for a free 14-day trial of the Audible membership, you can select No More Mondays as your free download. What a deal! Just click on this link to get your free copy of No More Mondays.
Want a raise?
Check out Sunday’s Dilbert strip to see how he got a billion dollar raise.
What are you worth?
You can find the salary range for your skills at the free service provided by Salary.com. You’ll also see listings for your skills where you live.
The Future of ‘Intelligent Dreaming’
48Days.net is our newest project – and, wow, are you all responding! People just like you, with ideas and energy, are joining this “idea network” to share and grow together. You’ll see groups have already formed on speaking, writing, sales, parenting, and inventing. If you have an interest and don’t see it here, you can start your own group. There’s no charge – it’s just one more benefit of being part of the 48 Days family.
Match Your Passion to your Work
The most popular product in the 48 Days arsenal continues to be the 48 Days Career Profile. Before you begin seeking a better job or self-employment, you need to be sure you are pursuing opportunities that match your personality style and will fulfill and reward you for a lifetime!
Humor: Bonus Misunderstanding
This is from a recent Blondie cartoon:
Dagwood: “Boss, at the Christmas party you promised a little raise in my paycheck.”
Mr. Dithers: “I did? No, you must’ve misunderstood me, Dagwood. I said I was going to start putting a little raisin in your paycheck.”
Still Time to make that Fresh Start
Dan Miller is the bestselling author of 48 Days To The Work You Love and a renowned Life Coach specializing in career fulfillment. His weekly newsletter reaches 70,000 subscribers. Dan’s articles are featured here at CBN every Tuesday, and you can find out more about Dan at www.48days.com.
CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!
Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?
A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.