Make Changes, Discern Hoaxes
By Dan Miller
CBN.com – One quarter of this year is now past. Have you completed 25% of what you wanted to accomplish this year? If you wanted to learn a new language, are you taking classes? If you determined to lose 40 pounds this year, have you lost 10? If you wanted to get a promotion, have you talked to your boss? If you want to start your own business, have you at least written a business plan?
We know we can’t expect things to get better unless we do something different. I frequently ask people who talk about wanting more success: “What are you willing to change?”
If you have initiated change, then you have begun the process toward better results.
Change does not always bring progress, but progress always requires change.
“The poor man is not he who is without a cent, but he who is without a dream.” —Harry Kemp
Need resources to find your next opportunity?
Smellovision and Left-Handed Burgers
April 1st – you know what that means. No, I won’t be promoting any prank or hoax here. I’ve learned too well that with any conceivable distortion, someone will actually believe it.
A few years ago I announced that since I was getting all these letters from Nigeria promising me money, I would simply divide it up and send it to our readers. I was deluged with letters thanking me in advance, letting me know that now they would be able to pay the rent, or that their prayers had been answered. Yessiree – it cured me of ever using satire or cynicism in something I print.
I do, however, still find some of the great hoaxes amusing – and trust that most of you do as well. Here are just a few of the most famous April Fool’s pranks:
- In 1992 National Public Radio's Talk of the Nation program announced that Richard Nixon, in a surprise move, was running for President again. His new campaign slogan was, "I didn't do anything wrong, and I won't do it again."
- In 1996 the Taco Bell Corporation announced that it had bought the Liberty Bell and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell. Hundreds of outraged citizens called the National Historic Park in Philadelphia where the bell was housed to express their anger. Their nerves were only calmed when Taco Bell revealed, a few hours later, that it was all a practical joke. Incidentally, Taco Bell also reported as fact that sales increased by $500,000 on April 1st and $600,000 on April 2nd over the prior week’s same day sales.
- In 1993 a German radio station announced that officials in Cologne had just passed an unusual new city regulation. Joggers going through the park would be required to pace themselves to go no faster than six mph. Any faster, it was felt, would unnecessarily disturb the squirrels who were in the middle of their mating season.
- In 1965 BBC TV featured an interview with a professor who had just invented a device called "smellovision." This miraculous technology allowed viewers to experience directly in their own home aromas produced in the television studio. The professor offered a demonstration by cutting some onions and brewing coffee. A number of viewers called in to confirm that they distinctly experienced these scents as if they were there in the studio with him. Since no aromas were being transmitted, whatever these viewers thought they smelled coming out of their TV sets must be chalked up to the power of suggestion.
And finally, one of my favorites:
- In 1998 Burger King published a full-page advertisement in USA Today announcing the introduction of a new item to their menu: a "Left-Handed Whopper" specially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new whopper included the same ingredients as the original Whopper (lettuce, tomato, hamburger patty, etc.), but all the condiments were rotated 180 degrees for the benefit of their left-handed customers. The following day Burger King issued a follow-up release revealing that although the Left-Handed Whopper was a hoax, thousands of customers had gone into restaurants to request the new sandwich. Simultaneously, according to the press release, "many others requested their own 'right handed' version."
Be careful what you believe. Sometimes wishful thinking makes us susceptible to believing what is not likely to be true. With the pressure to be leaders in news, I suspect that much of what we hear as TV “news” ends up being untrue as well.
Develop your thinking skills to “discern.” This is a wonderful word normally viewed as spiritual insight. It's defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary as “the power to see what is not evident to the average mind.”
48 Days Radio
Each week I create a new online radio podcast that you can hear on Dans Online Radio Show.
Joanne and I have been in California celebrating our anniversary and relaxing with friends.
At a quick glance Im looking forward to answering some questions like these:
1. Dan, I love your podcasts. Thank you for using your gifts to inspire others. At 53, I have made the decision that I need to leave my 2-hour a day commute and $100k job in order to regain my life, peace, and joy. Ive worked in this job for 10 years and have great benefits, but I just cant bear the thought of continuing.
2. Dan, My wife owns a home catering business and wants to bottle/sell her line of signature sauces & salsa. Any ideas on how to get started with this? Thanks!!
Your questions continue to inspire and motivate me. There really are at least good solutions for most any situation even if its not a perfect solution, you can move through where you are to a better future if you create a plan of action. Few people are really trapped or stuck.
If you have a question, just click on this 48 Days Online Radio link and you can ask about starting your own business, getting a better job, or finding your purpose in life.
Thats the same place you can listen to this weeks broadcast immediately no downloading no wait. 48 Days Online Radio.
April 1st, getting spring fever, seeing friends who have gone on to better things – these all can give you the urge to just turn in your resignation letter. Well, here’s help. This site makes it very easy to play out that fantasy. You can identify all the unique characteristics of your job, pinpoint your feelings about your boss, list your next career (aroma therapist), and in general, vent your job frustration. Then hit “Write it” and you will see your instant customized Resignation Letter. Just make sure your current boss isn’t looking over your shoulder.
Humor: Some Thoughts on Exercise
(It’s a new month and a new quarter. Maybe you need some new motivation for the exercise goals you set for this year.)
- I joined a health club last year, spent about 400 bucks. Haven't lost a pound. Apparently you have to show up.
- I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing.
- I don't exercise at all. If God meant us to touch our toes, He would have put them further up our body.
- My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 now and we don't know where she is!
- I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- I have flabby thighs, but fortunately my stomach covers them.
- If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.
I don't jog. It makes the ice jump right out of my glass.
“Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.” Napoleon Hill
48 Days Featured Businesses
Some of our Featured Businesses provide products and services, while others also offer business opportunities. For those providing business opportunities, we implore you to first consider whether the opportunity is a good fit for you. Is it something you care about and is a relevant fit for you? Your 'Acres of Diamonds' will come from something you are passionate about!
See your business here.
The Barefoot Executive
Carrie Wilkerson went from executive to mom of four to “The Barefoot Executive.” Barefoot has become the definitive resource for helping women achieve their professional dreams while working at home. Join 8,000 other women participating in Carrie’s free Tele-seminar series and get her free report now.
Steven Deaton has been an avid 48 Days fan for years and took the principles for 'work you love' to create PlainFaith, whose goal is to protect families. He's giving a free book from his Plainfaith library to all 48 Days subscribers. Get the details here.
Phil Stoner is a personal friend of Dan's and founder of eAudioSource which is the leading source for bestselling inspirational audio books and Bibles at literally the lowest prices online.See his special offer for 48 Days subscribers
As 48 Days subscribers for the past three years, Bernie and Debbie Swartzendruber have truly found work they love in the travel industry. Book travel and learn how to do what they did at our 'Recommended Business' info page.
Paid 'Featured Business' Disclaimer:
48 Days LLC does not represent the accuracy or reliability of any of the recommendations or promotions shown above...or the quality of any products, information, or other materials displayed, purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an offer in connection with this newsletter... Please...do your own due diligence before purchasing any product or service.
More Recommended Resources
What work "fits" you ?
The most popular product in the 48 Days arsenal continues to be the Computerized Personality Report. Before you begin seeking a better job or self-employment, you need to be sure you are pursuing opportunities that match your personality style and will fulfill and reward you for a lifetime!\
Have you found your opportunity?
Here’s an updated version of the classic little book, Acres of Diamonds: It’s free, only 31 pages, and you can just open and read it. Or save it for future reading. You’ll discover that the best opportunity may be right under your own nose.
Ready for New Models of Work?
I now have a link to the entire Appendix of No More Mondays. In this you will find updated resources for working from home, starting your own business, and telecommuting.
Stay up to date, add your comments, and share your successes at my No More Mondays Blog.
We now offer Free Shipping on all of our products. Just one more feature to help you get the resources you need for success and fulfillment this year. Check out these 48 Days products.
Dan Miller is the bestselling author of 48 Days To The Work You Love and a renowned Life Coach specializing in career fulfillment. His weekly newsletter reaches 70,000 subscribers. Dan’s articles are featured here at CBN every Tuesday, and you can find out more about Dan at www.48days.com.
CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!
Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?
A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.